Today is National Stress Awareness Day.
Many of the people we work with feel that they’re only too aware of their stress, day in day out.
But in honour of the day, here are 10 purposeful ways to create a less stressful working environment.
They don’t include breathing deeply or going for a nice walk (which we all know already, right?).
1. Make sure every single person in the organisation is crystal clear on the purpose of the business and their contribution to it.
2. Increase the ratio of listening to talking across your business by 100 to 1.
3. Make the sentence “We do not do internal politics” an organisational value.
4. Bin the Team Away Day and take everyone to a community group to volunteer.
5. Pay staff at least what is considered to be the industry average.
6. Aim for your business to have a leadership culture rather than a management hierarchy.
7. Encourage and reward outward-facing behaviour that puts external clients and partners first.
8. Reduce your use of the word ‘But’ by 90%. Replace with ‘And’ to move a step away from conflict and a step closer to resolution.
9. Find a way to speak to someone in your organisation you’ve never spoken to before.
10. Ask your team what would give them a greater sense of freedom and autonomy at work.
And finally, let’s not wait for Stress Awareness Day each year to get going.